February 27, 2012

3/4 View Portrait Progress

As promised, I'm photographing each step of my new adventure creating a 3/4 view portrait. I didn't do much, just started painting the skin tones by applying a juicy layer of Shiva Paintstick in Antique White followed by dabs of Yellow Ochre and Burnt Sienna. The oil pencil I used to sketch the girl is smudging like crazy, more than usual, and I'm not totally happy with it. Perhaps its because I didn't cover the area with gesso first. I don't know, I'm not really sure why this is happening. At this point I have no choice but to let this initial layer dry in hopes that the pencil will set so I can continue adding more oils and hopefully stop any further "muddying" (is that even a word? ).

The blue hair was a spur of the moment decision. I just saw a tube of yummy cobalt blue in my paint basket and thought it would be great to use it on her hair. Because cobalt blue is one of the slow drying colors, I mixed it with Holbein Quick drying White to speed up the drying time. And because the stark white background was bugging me out, I sprayed a little Adirondack color wash in Lettuce just to break up the monotony.

That's it for now, my lovelies. I'll post more pics as soon as I get a chance to work on her again.

Hugs,
Jade


No comments: