March 6, 2012

What's on my easel

As usual, lack of time has kept me from updating my blog. I've been very busy for the past few days and haven't had much time to work on the 3/4 view portrait, and to be honest, when I did, I found myself very frustrated with how difficult it's been to form a connection with that girl. Maybe it's a subconscious excuse because I'm having a hard time achieving my vision with that painting. I don't know, but I put her aside for the time being. I did manage to get certain things fixed with the advice of the wonderful FlyGirls who took the time to help me figure out what was wrong with her, but there's still lots of work to do.

In the meantime, I finished the ATCs for this month's Fairytale theme, prepared several canvases that are now ready for drawing and started a new girl for the Color Challenge using a serene blue palette. I like it, not the usual colors I go for, but so far I'm very pleased with how she's turning out, except for the fact that I applied gold leaf to her wings a little too soon, since the oils were still tacky and I got some bits of gold leaf stuck to her arms and neck. Hopefully I'll be able to fix it or else she'll be a very tattered girl. I'll just let the oils dry completely and go over it with another thick layer of skin tones, that should help, I hope.

I have another canvas on my easel that should be a challenge as well. I'm always shying away from acrylics when painting the face since I have such a hard time achieving a smooth blending, oils are so much easier to handle, but I feel that's time to be brave and conquer a new medium. Time to put into practice all these workshops I've been taking, let's hope glazing medium is as good a magician as everyone claims it to be!

Have a wonderful and creative week, sending you all hugs and love.

Jade

No comments: